Summer 2020: the summer of sustainable picnics, social distancing, and video calls. Not only is dining al fresco better for Mama Earth, it’s also one of the easiest ways to stay safe during the pandemic! You can have peace of mind knowing you had a hand in your food preparation and cutlery cleaning.
Whether you head to the park, the beach, your backyard, or even your balcony, you don’t need much to set up a sustainable picnic. We’re here to help you ditch dining in with ease. Here are a few of the go-to items and recipes that we like to pack in our picnic baskets.
Our Picnic Assembly Kit:
- Your favorite tote or picnic basket. We love to use our Apolis Market Bag--it’s big enough to fit lunch and the picnic blanket!
- A blanket! Nothing fancy needed here. We like to picnic with blankets we’ve picked up while traveling or with old sheets--they’re soft and lightweight.
- A reusable (water) bottle with your bevvy of choice. Our go-to picnic pick is technically a coffee mug from Hydro Flask, but you can put whatever you like in it and it has a killer seal!
- Pack your lunch in a reusable container. Whether it’s a mason jar, an upcycled leftovers container, an old salsa jar, or your grandma’s Pyrex container that she passed down… anything will do.
- Stasher bags are great for fruit, veggies, and snacks! Strawberries and almonds, anyone?
- Last, but certainly not least, don’t forget your utensils. Say fork no to single-use plastic cutlery and bring your FinalOrk along instead! It’s a full-sized fork that folds up to fit in a convenient carrying case and is making meals more mobile and sustainable than ever! Have your cake on the go and eat it too with FinalFork!
Our Go-To Picnic Recipe:
Pasta salad is one of our favorites! We use Banza chickpea noodles to make a high-protein, high-fiber, and gluten-free salad! Here’s what you need:
- 1 box Banza
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- A handful or two of cherry tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella
- Dress with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Italian seasoning to taste
Throw a few other treats in your bags, like fruit, nuts, or your favorite sweet treats and you’ll be ready to picnic in no time!